Divers can find easy drift diving to thrilling cage diving with Great White sharks in Mexico! Cozumel and Cancun are popular destinations for Texans since it’s quick and easy to get there. The Pacific side of Mexico is great for big animals such as sharks, dolphins and Pacific mantas.
Where to Dive in Mexico
Mexico has 2 different diving areas: Caribbean side and Pacific side. The Caribbean side has Cozumel that is known for drift diving and Cancun/Riviera Maya that not only have reef diving but also cenotes and snorkeling with whale sharks. On the Pacific side there is the Cabo area that can have challenging currents and colder water but divers get rewarded by seeing bigger animals like whale sharks, sharks, mantas and sea lions. There are liveaboards that can take you to cage dive with Great White sharks in Guadalupe or dive with sharks, mantas, dolphins and schools of fish in Socorro.
How to Dive Mexico
On the Caribbean side land based is the best way to go. Generally you do 2 morning dives and then can do other activities in the afternoon or more diving! If you want to dive the Pacific, liveaboard is the way to go to get to the best diving.
When to Dive Mexico
With a wide geographical range, there is great diving year round in the Caribbean. The biggest concern people usually have is hurricane season but the chances are low that you will be there during a storm. July – November is when the liveaboards to go Guadalupe and December-July is the time to dive Socorro.
- What you’ll see – Walls, coral gardens, schools of fish, turtles, sharks, mantas, whale sharks, dolphins, great white sharks.
- What you won’t see – The big animals (except for whale sharks) are generally seen in the Pacific and the Caribbean side has more coral.
- Currents – Some destinations are known for drift dives like Cozumel while others are known for their calm conditions like Riviera Maya. On the Pacific side you will encounter currents which can be strong.
- Water Temperatures – Low to Mid 70’s and up depending on destination
- Experience level – With the large variety of destinations there is something for every level of experience.
- Recommended length of stay – A week’s stay is ideal for most destinations but some can be enjoyed over a long weekend.